The historical Stubaital

In the villages of the Stubaital you will find historical buildings everywhere that bear witness to bygone days.

Next to interestingly decorated chapels and churches, above all traditional farms outlasted the times.

Diese stehen teilweise unter Denkmalschutz und prägen das Dorfbild der Gemeinden im Stubaital. These are partly listed as landmark buildings and form the villagescape of the municipalities in the Stubaital. During a walk, you will surely discover some of these historical buildings.

Schönberg in the Stubai valley

In Schönberg you can find numerous monuments of bridges over historical buildings.

Wittingwarte in Schönberg
This lookout, constructed in the late historical “Heimatstil” style, was built by Alois Witting in 1890.
Stephansbrücke
Schönberg is home to the largest stone arch bridge of Austria, the Stefansbrücke, which is now part of today's Brenner route.
Europabrücke
Its neighbour, the Europa Brücke, is a credit to its name and with its 192 m remains the highest continuous girder bridge of the continent.
Kretschy monument Schönberg
in honour of the Viennese university lecturer Franz Kretschy.
Roman road
Near the Europa parking lot those interested in history can look way into the past as an old piece of road from Roman times can be found there.
Widum Schönberg
The Widum, which forms a remarkable ensemble with the parish church, was built in 1753/1754 according to plans by Franz de Paula Penz. The façades are decorated with high-quality architectural paintings from the time of construction.
Stolzenhof
At the time of Andreas Hofer, the farm was home to the Stubai Regional Court.
Inn Alte Post Schönberg
The inn on Brennerstraße was built around 1850. The three-storey late Biedermeier building has a hipped roof.
Machine house Ruetz- power plant Schönberg
The Ruetz power station was built in 1909-1912 to supply the Mittenwald railway according to plans by Josef Riehl and Ferdinand Mayr. As the first large railway power station in Austria, it is an important industrial monument.
Papstl Schönberg
Reminiscent of Pope Pius VI's return journey from Vienna via the Brenner Pass.
Schöberlhof Schönberg
Typical Tyrolean farm, perhaps 16th, but certainly 18th century.
Schönbergkapelle
House chapel of the Schöberlhof, also worth seeing. Richly decorated chapel house built around 1700.
Inn Domanig Schönberg
The Gasthof Domanig temporarily served Andreas Hofer as his headquarters.
Goetheruhe in Schönberg
In 1786, the famous German poet JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE passed through Schönberg on his journey to Italy.

Monuments in Mieders

Kalvarienberg Mieders
Kalvarienberg Mieders
The two-bay chapel was built in its present form in 1843.
Former court of Mieders
Former court of Mieders
The core of the former courthouse dates back to the 16th century.
Marienbrunnen Mieders
Marienbrunnen Mieders
The fountain consists of an old stone trough from 1856 and a wooden column with a polychrome statue of the Waldraster Madonna from the end of the 18th century under a wrought-iron roofing.

Monument in Telfes

Widum Telfes

The former princely hunting lodge was converted into a Widum in 1736/37 according to plans by Franz de Paula Penz. The massive three-storey building with a hipped roof is surrounded on two sides by a low stone wall.

Fulpmes

Discover the historical monuments in Fulpmes.

Bildstock Hl. Nepomuk Fulpmes
The 18th century wayside shrine stands at the bridge over the Schlickerbach. The brick round-arched niche with a curved wrought-iron canopy houses a late Baroque polychrome carved figure of St. John Nepomuk.
Municipal Office Fulpmes
The two-storey building was erected around 1750. The façade is decorated with painted medallions depicting St. George, St. Leopold and St. Florian, which date from the middle of the 18th century and are attributed to Joseph Haller.
Widum Fulpmes
The Widum was built in 1745 according to plans by Franz de Paula Penz. The mighty, three-storey building with a hipped roof is decorated with Baroque façade painting around the portal and with window flaps, corner squaring, window pediments, and there are figural depictions on the south and west sides.
Memorial Nordischer Skisport Fulpmes
The memorial for Nordic skiing forms the centrepiece of the newly designed Gregor Schlierenzauer Square.
Don Bosco chapel Fulpmes
The chapel attached to the south-west of the Don Bosco dormitory was built in 1972 according to plans by Clemens Holzmeister.
Don Bosco fountain Fulpmes
Tanglplatz Fulpmes
Forecourt of the Volks- und Neue Mittelschule Fulpmes.
Woodbridge Medraz
The covered wooden bridge over the Ruetz was built in 1937 after an older model.
Floriani fountain Medraz
On the granite fountain column, under a wrought-iron roof, is a figure of St. Florian from the 18th century. The tulip-shaped granite trough was erected around 2000.

Neustift in the Stubai valley

Franz Senn monument Neustift
Franz Senn monument Neustift
Alpine and tourism pioneer Father Franz Senn was the parish priest in Neustift and played a decisive role in shaping the development of tourism in the valley.
Ranalt chapel Neustift
Ranalt chapel Neustift
The chapel was built in 1947/48 under the French Major Geden by German prisoners of war. The two-bay church with its massive tower in front to the east is stylistically influenced by the architecture of the interwar or wartime period. The walls are articulated with natural stone masonry.
Widum Neustift
Widum Neustift
A church building from 1516 was converted into a widum in 1868. The façades of the mighty three-storey building with a hipped roof are decorated with painted corner ashlars and window flaps.
There is lots going on in the Stubai

Our new Newsletter will keep you informed of all the news in the valley, even when you are not on holiday here.