History

The sports club Telfes has been organising international mountain races since 1988. It all started with the Pfarrachalmlauf, but only one year later a course was chosen for the first time that passed the Schlickeralm, which has been the eponym of the name ever since. The finish until 2012 was the Sennjoch, in 2012 it was time to conquer the Kreuzjoch for the first time.

The Schlickeralmlauf gained worldwide fame through several major events. The first event was the World Championship in 1990 (then called World Mountain Running Cup). Only a short time later, the event was hosted once again and as the first organizer for a second time: in 1996, the event was known as the World Mountain Running Trophy. With more than 700 participants (incl. side competitions), who came from 32 countries, Telfes set new standards in mountain running. Another highlight was the European Championships in 2009, which once again lead world-class athletes to the Stubaital.The last sporting event the Stubaital has ever seen, measured by participants, was the Masters World Championships (35-79 years old) in 2014. Here, together with the side races, we counted over 1000 starters. But even if no international championships are held, the Schlickeralmlauf has been a meeting point for elite and hobby runners for decades, who appreciate the special flair and the beautiful course.

Just as traditional as the Schlickeralmlauf itself are the side competitions the day before. Generations of mountain runners have already gathered their first experiences during the children's runs through Telfes or collected money for a good cause at the charity run. The following pasta party has been a fixed point in the programme for decades.

You can find the whole history of the mountain run in Telfe on the website of the organizer association.

×

Search & Book