Parish church of Neustift<br>Church of St. Georg
The Rococo building in Neustift is the second largest village church in Tyrol.
The interior surprises with its magnificent furnishings. In 1516, the first church of Neustift is consecrated to St. George. During a conflagration in 1772, the church is almost completely destroyed and not rebuilt. The new parish church is again consecrated to St. George in 1780.
From the outside, the church, a Rococo building in the village centre, looks very simple. The interior is, however, quite magnificent and furnished with frescoes by renowned masters.
The beautiful graveyard contains the grave of the “Glacier Parson” and co-founder of the Alpine Association, Franz Senn. The church was built after plans of the clergyman and church designer Franz de Paula Penz, whose buildings can be found all over Tyrol. In 1812, Neustift becomes an independent parish. In 1993, the new organ with three manuals is being consecrated.