A place of reflection
Stift Stams is widely visible in the Central Upper Inn Valley, south of the Inn and about 35 km west of the state capital of Innsbruck. Stift Stams was founded in 1273: Count Meinhard II von Görz intended to donate a monastery here that was to serve the von Görz family as a burial place. The monastery can still be visited. Above all the Romanesque Basilica with its artistic wall paintings is impressive. The monastery also operates a museum, a shop, a liquor distillery and an alpine dairy.