Churches in the Stubai valley
Saint Vitus church - Parish church of Fupmes
The parish church of the holy Vitus was built in 1746/47 by Franz de Paula Penz in the style of rococo.
The fresco in the gables on the outside facade, showing the church patron, is the work of the Augsburg academy professor Johann Georg Bergmüller.
He also created the innside ceiling pictures, that adorn the church as main ornament with their rococo stucco work. The sculptures on the high altar and the high altar leaf display the holy church patron Vitus surrounded with 14 helpers in need.
Subsidiary church in honor of holy Margaretha - Medraz
A small, baroque centre building was built in 1746/47. Through an overflow of Ruetz brook the church was badly damaged and was renewed in 1833. The high altar picture shows the beheading of holy Margaretha, the figures present Blasius and Silvester. Very impressive are the tabernacle, the rococo pulpit and a chained man of pain.
Saint George's church - Parish church of Neustift
The priest Franz de Paula Penz was the constructor of this impressive Neustift village church. He was one of the most ingenious church building directors in the late baroque era in Tyrol.
The Saint George`s church, a rococo building in the village centre, appears very simple from the outside, but the interior is quite magnificent and arranged with frescos of well – known artists.
The parish church in Neustift is the second largest village church in Tyrol. The “glacier priest” and co-founder of the Austrian Alpine Association, Franz Senn, is buried in the beautiful cemetery.
Church to Mary Birth - Parish church of Mieders
Well visible is the beautiful, 53-meter high Gothic pinnacle. A document calles a church in Mieders already in 1348.
Anton Gigl, the famous "Stukkatore" who created the most beautiful Bandlwerk works at the Helblinhaus in Innsbruck Helblinghaus, cut the tender early Rococo stucco in the church interior. Jakob Jenewein 1739 painted the beautiful ceiling paintings. As the most precious work of art is the great chancel arch crucifix dating back to 1500, it counts among the most important crosses of North Tyrol.
Saint Pankratius church - Parish church of Telfes
In 1344 a letter of indulgence designates a little church in honour of the holy Pankratius, that was enlarged in 1434 and newly naugurated with three new altars.In 1593 the bells melted in a steeple fire. The still standing steeple in gothic style was built in 1626. Franz de Paula Penz constructed a new church building using the old steeple.